Indefinite Leave to Remain Archives

B1 Test for UK Citizenship

The B1 Test for UK Citizenship

Becoming a British citizen is the dream of thousands of immigrants every year. To become a UK citizen, individuals must fulfill the naturalization or testing requirements. An individual may apply for citizenship through naturalization if he or she is over 18, has sound mind, has good character, intends on continuing to live in the UK and displays knowledge of English and has passed the Life in the UK test requirements.

B1 Testing Requirements

In June 2012, the UK implemented new standards that citizenship applicants must achieve. Those pursuing citizenship through Indefinite Leave to Remain or the Naturalization as a British Citizen route must pass the “Life in the UK Test” and “English Speaking and Listening Test” at the B1 level or above. The B1 level is an intermediate level.

Preparing a Topic for the B1 English test

For the speaking component of the test, a candidate must prepare his or her own topic to discuss for five minutes. The topics that a candidate may choose include hobbies, career, holidays and home country. The examiner will discuss the prepared topic with the candidate in English. He or she seeks to make sure that the candidate responds appropriately to questions, clarifies his or her statements and performs the required language functions. The examiner will make sure that the individual is able to talk in future tenses, provides opinions, discusses UK events and also states the reasons for his or her preferences. The candidate must also show that he or she can use proper grammar and expressive vocabulary.

In addition to the candidate’s chosen discussion, the examiner also has five minutes to discuss two chosen topics with the candidate. The examiner may choose two topics from subjects including events, festivals, means of transportation, entertainment, music or personal experiences.

There is no written component of the Home Office approved B1 exam required for UK citizenship at our  SELT B1 test centre in Sheffield for the north of England including South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire.

B1 Test Results

Once the B1 test for UK citizenship has been completed, the results will be given to the individual on the same day. Certificates are sent by Trinity College to arrive within 7 days and you should therefore receive your certificate within two weeks. At the test site, one will need to show a current passport on the day of your exam.

B1 Test Preparation

We can help you prepare for the Home Office approved B1 test. Working with us can help you develop confidence in your speaking and listening abilities.

You can book your Home Office approved B1 test or exam preparation here

Applying for UK Citizenship and ILR

Applying for UK Citizenship

Applying for UK citizenship can be a time-consuming process that requires determination, commitment and perseverance. At times, fulfilling the UK citizenship requirements can be difficult and feel overwhelming. Non-English speaking individuals may need to complete the B1 ESOL exam to move forward in obtaining UK citizenship. ESOL stands for “English for Speakers of Other Languages.” Individuals must make satisfactory progress in an ESOL course in order to be considered for UK citizenship.

Most Recent UK Citizenship Requirements

The UK government recently released an announcement that it will be utilizing stricter citizenship requirements for those who wish to become UK citizens. Individuals must demonstrate a mastery of conversational English at the B1 intermediate level and pass the “Living in the UK” test to satisfy the “Knowledge of Language and Life” requirement.

Immigration Minister Mark Harper has publicly stated that British citizenship is a privilege. As such, individuals must demonstrate a commitment to becoming a citizen by understanding the UK’s culture, tradition, customs and English language.

In the past, citizenship candidates had to pass the LITUK test or show a progression in the ESOL course. Now, citizenship candidates must demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of British culture as well as succeed in ESOL for citizenship and ILR.

The Language Component

The UK government will accept several forms of evidence that an individual speaks English. If the individual is applying for citizenship and is from an English-speaking country, this may suffice as evidence that he or she speaks English. Also, those who have physical or mental disabilities will be excused from fulfilling the ESOL requirements. Individuals under the age of 18 and over 65 are also exempt from the language requirement.

Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK

Indefinite Leave to Remain refers to a special immigration status that is given to individuals in the UK. This special immigration status does not have any time limit, and an individual may gain employment while he or she has ILR status.

An individual can obtain ILR status in numerous ways. He or she may be a spouse and live in the UK for a minimum of two years. An individual who has lived in the UK for four years and is part of the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) may also apply for ILR. Individuals who have lived in the UK in excess of four years can visit the website to learn more about the ILR requirements.

The UK Border Agency may also grant ILR status within its discretion. If an individual has compelling reasons to obtain ILR status, the UK Border Agency may grant it.

Fulfilling the B1 Speaking and Listening Qualifications

Whether one is applying for ILR or permanent citizenship, he or she must take time to prepare for the B1 test English language requirements. Whether one needs to review online study guides or work with a tutor, an individual needs to make sure that he or she is prepared for the citizenship tests. Failing the LITUK or English language citizenship test may prolong the processing time for one’s citizenship application. Our testing centres are available to assist individuals in preparing for ESOL for citizenship and ILR applications. We may also provide specialized help for the LITUK multiple-choice test, written component and verbal component. You can take your B1 ESOL test at our English exam centre.

Applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK

Applying for indefinite leave to remain in UK

Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) can be defined as a status that allows a person to stay indefinitely in the UK without necessarily acquiring full citizenship. Here are the forms those who are applying for indefinite leave to remain can use.

Form SET(F)

For those applying for indefinite leave to remain, there is more than one way to acquire this status. Applicants need to consider their situation and apply with the correct form. Children–including adopted children–under the age of 18 can apply for ILR using Form SET(F) if they plan on living with a parent, parents, or relative who is a resident of the UK. A person’s relative or guardian who is over the age of 18 can also apply for ILR by using Form SET(F).

Form SET(DV)

Those applying for indefinite leave to remain using Form SET(DV) must meet all of the following conditions: (a) must receive permission to stay in the UK for up to 27 months or must be able to extend his or her visit to two years as a partner of a resident; (b) must remain in this relationship he or she was in when they arrive to the UK or must extend his or her stay as the resident’s partner; (c) must present evidence that his or her relationship with the resident is permanently over because of domestic violence.

Form SET(M)

Those who have lived in the UK for two years and has the intention of staying in a relationship with a partner who is also a citizen can apply for indefinite leave to remain by using Form SET(M). However, applicants must have arrived in the UK or applied for permission on or earlier than 8 July 2012. Otherwise, they will have to stay in the UK for five years instead of two.

Form SET(O)

Applicants that need to stay for five years will need to apply to Form SET(O). Furthermore, those who have lived in the UK for more than four years may apply to Form SET(O). This form grants ILR to those who have lived in the UK for four years with a visa that has been labeled under the Highly Skills Migrant Programme (HSMP) and Employment Not Requiring Work Permit. However, his or her visa must have been issued these titles before 3 April 2006.

Five Years and Above

Those who have lived in the UK for five years and have a visa that dictates they are retired and independent or a representative of a business or firm need to apply to Form SET(BUS). Those who have lived in the UK for six years with Discretionary Leave need to apply using Form HPDL. Those who have lived in the UK for ten years without leaving once can apply using Form SET(LR) but must have lived in the country lawfully for those ten years. Those who have lived in the UK for more than ten years will need to live for an additional ten years in order to apply to for ILR.

Requirements can change so you should check current requirements at or speak to an immigration lawyer.

To get Indefinite Leave to Remain you will normally need to pass the Life in the UK test which examines your knowledge of British customs and traditions. If your age is under 18 years or over 65 years then you do not need to take the test. In addition to the Life in the UK test you will also need to pass English Language Speaking & Listening B1 test. You can register today at our B1 test centres for The Trinity College London B1 test, GESE grade 5 Speaking & Listening exam. This is an English Language Test accepted by the British Home Office and UKBA.