GESE Grade 2 A1 CEFR Exam format
Total exam time: 6 minutes
The exam consists of one assessed phase:
● Conversation with the examiner (up to 6 minutes).
In addition to the items listed for the previous grade, the candidate is expected to demonstrate the following communicative skills and meet the language requirements listed below during the exam.
● Understand short, simple questions, requests and statements
● Respond with appropriate actions and positive and negative short form answers
● Contribute to the conversation using memorised phrases and short statements
● Use a basic range of words and simple phrases related to personal details and situations
●Ask for very basic personal information, e.g. about possessions
GESE Grade 2 Language requirements
● Indicating the position of people and objects
● Describing people, animals, objects and places very simply
● Stating simple facts
● Informing about possessions
● Asking very simple questions about personal details
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the ability to understand:
● Present simple tense questions
● Question words who? when?
●Present continuous tense questions
● Determiners some, any
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the ability to understand and use:
● Present simple tense
● There is/are and has/have got/have you got? Do you have?
● Question words where? how?
● Prepositions of place in, on, under, between, next to
● Determiners their, its
● Possessive pronouns mine, yours, his, hers
● Yes/no answers to present continuous tense questions
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the ability to understand and use vocabulary related to:
● Rooms in the home
● Household objects
● Family and friends
● Days of the week and months of the year
● Cardinal numbers up to 50
● Words and phrases relating to the language functions listed above
● The correct pronunciation of words relevant to the lexical areas listed above
● Basic intonation patterns for simple questions
● Contractions, e.g. I’ve, I’m, he’s
Grade 2 communicative skills and language requirements have been mapped to A1 in the CEFR.
If you are applying for a Spouse / Partner Visa you will need Speaking & Listening A1 / ESOL Entry 1. This exam is suitable for Spouse and Partner Visas on FLR (M) and suitable for Parents of Dependents FLR (O). You will need to take this A1 test at a registered SELT centre for this purpose. We can help you prepare for your A1 exam. Please contact us for details.